Please Support me in the Fight Against Multiple Sclerosis!!!


Visit my Personal Page as I raise $500 for the National MS Society. On June 29-30, I will tackle the MS 150 Cape Cod Getaway in support of this cause. But I can't do it without you! Please help me get to the starting line, and I will do the rest!

A big thanks to Team Summit for taking me on as a new team member. With their help, I know I will have the on-the-road support I need to get all 150 miles from Start to Finish!

Thursday, May 3, 2012

I Forgot How Hard This Is

I have to admit, I'm pretty motivated.  With the time constraints on my schedule, it'd be hard to look from the outside at the activities I have done recently and surmise, "Wow, what a go-getter" (or if you did, it would be sarcastic, which would be more likely among the people I know).  In addition to my first run back last Friday, I did the same route on Monday, with a worse time on the run (by 6 seconds), but a better time on the walk (by 34 seconds) because I jogged up my street at the end.  Baby steps.  Bottom line is, I see a serious challenge, but one that I'm excited to take head-on.

Yesterday was my first bike ride.  Cloudy, a little drizzle, 50 degrees - I say in complete seriousness that this is my favorite kind of weather for exercising.  I managed to eke out 8.03 miles in 40:01 min.  I'm not setting any land speed records or anything, but mostly I am just happy I can walk today.  Update: I did not take the stairs at work this morning (24 steps for 5 flights) because my legs are still pretty jelly.

Okay, so what did I get out of it?

1)  Hills are still terrible, terrible things.  If hills were people, they'd be that guy on the cross-country plane trip who talks non-stop about his start-up cat massage business, when all you want to do is coast with some good music in your headphones and maybe have a nap.  You know you're going to get through it, but the urge to kill yourself is definitely there at some point.

2)  Same goes for wind.

I guess that's pretty much it (it was a short ride).  Also, some good news: my intestines did not try to escape through my incisions, and my lack-of-gallbladder doesn't seem to be aching too bad today.  I guess gasping for air going 7mph (because you're maxed out) up a hill that lasts probably 1/8 of a mile doesn't count as "overdoing it."  Which is good, because I don't think I could get a medical exception to have a motorcycle pull me up all the hills during the MS Ride (although how cool would that be??).

On tap: 2 rides this weekend (15 miles and 10 miles).  Tips/encouragement/Red Bull (for before)/sedatives (for after) are always appreciated!


No comments:

Post a Comment